U.S. Naval Academy to stop considering race in admissions
www.fastcompany.com
The U.S. Naval Academy has changed its policy and will no longer consider race as a factor when evaluating candidates to attend the elite military school, a practice it maintained even after the U.S. Supreme Court barred civilian colleges from employing similar affirmative action policies.Republican President Donald Trumps administration detailed the policy change in a filing on Friday, asking a court to suspend an appeal lodged by a group opposed to affirmative action against a judges decision last year upholding the Annapolis, Maryland-based Naval Academys race-conscious admissions program.Days after returning to office, Trump signed an executive order on January 27 that eliminated diversity, equity and inclusion programs from the military.Defense Secretary Peter Hegseth two days later issued guidance barring the military from establishing sex-based, race-based, or ethnicity-based goals for organizational composition, academic admission, or career fields.The U.S. Department of Justice said that in light of those directives, Vice Admiral Yvette Davids, the Naval Academys superintendent, issued guidance barring the consideration of race, ethnicity or sex as a factor in its admissions process.The Justice Department said that policy change could affect the lawsuit filed by Students for Fair Admissions, a group founded by affirmative action opponent Edward Blum, which has also been challenging race-conscious admissions practices at other military academies.Blums group had been seeking to build on its June 2023 victory at the Supreme Court, when the courts 6-3 conservative majority sided with it by barring policies used by colleges and universities for decades to increase the number of Black, Hispanic and other minority students on U.S. campuses.That ruling invalidated race-conscious admissions policies used by Harvard and the University of North Carolina. But it explicitly did not address the consideration of race as a factor in admissions at military academies, which conservative Chief Justice John Roberts said had potentially distinct interests.After the ruling, Blums group filed three lawsuits seeking to knock out the carve-out for military schools. The case the group filed against the Naval Academy case was the first to go to trial.But U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett in Baltimore sided with Democratic President Joe Bidens administration in finding that the Naval Academys policy was constitutional.Nate Raymond, Reuters
0 Comments ·0 Shares ·67 Views