• Internship - Unity Game developer
    gamedev.net
    Practical InfoCompany: Runic Dices EntertainmentGame: NanokingsLocation: RemoteWorking Hours: Full-time / Part-TimeSalary: Non-paid Internship About UsRunic Dices Entertainment u
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·95 Views
  • clock ticks
    gamedev.net
    I want to use clock ticks in seconds to move the tortise/hare in the toretise/hare race game. I am new to this concept so I need a little help.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·95 Views
  • Celeste follow-up canceled as devs refocus to smaller projects
    www.polygon.com
    Earthblade, the follow-up to 2018 2D platformer Celeste, has been canceled, developer Extremely OK Games announced in a blog post on Wednesday.We made this decision in December and felt it best to wait until now to announce it, the developer wrote. For us on the inside weve had some time to process, grieve, and work toward accepting this, although that process is nonlinear and still ongoing.The post details a disagreement about the IP rights of Celeste last year between former art director Pedro Medeiros and current Extremely OK Games members Maddy Thorson and Noel Berry. The three of them eventually reached a resolution, but both parties also agreed in the end that we should go our separate ways. Medeiros left the team in November and is currently working on their own game, Neverway.Extremely OK Games says the disagreement wasnt the sole reason for the games cancellation, but that it prompted the company to take a serious look at whether fighting through to finish Earthblade was the right path forward. Even though it was announced in 2019, the team said it was not as far along as one would expect after such a protracted development process.Earthblade was meant to be another 2D platformer in the style of Celeste, borrowing its pastel pixel art style and Metroidvania exploration elements. The game wouldve followed main character Nvoa as they explored a ruined Earth with a soundtrack composed by Lena Raine, who previously did the music for Celeste. The first footage of the game was shown at the 2024 Game Awards and showcased its intricate 2D levels and gloomy tone.Celestes success applied pressure on us to deliver something bigger and better with Earthblade, and that pressure is a large part of why working on it has become so exhausting, it wrote. Pedro isnt to blame for this in fact the split with him has given us the clarity to see that we have lost our way, and the opportunity to admit defeat. I feel many ways about it, but one big feeling is undoubtedly relief.Other members of the team decided to leave last year as well, leaving Thorson and Berry as the remaining employees of Extremely OK Games. The developer said it wants to wipe the slate clean and refocus on smaller-scale projects. Were prototyping again and exploring at our own pace, and trying to rediscover game development in a manner closer to how we approached it at Celestes or TowerFalls inception.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·93 Views
  • Metaphor: ReFantazios manga adaptation is weirdly different and comedic
    www.polygon.com
    As soon as I saw Metaphor: ReFantazio was getting a manga adaptation, I figured this would be a good option for folks who dont have the time or patience to play an RPG that could easily take 80 hours to complete (or in my case, well over 100 hours, what with all the side quests I embarked upon). But based on the first issue, which you can read for free on Manga Plus, this adaptation is going to be a lot sillier.Its not just that the manga makes several changes to the story, but theres that too. The whole tone of the book is different. After the initial sense of whiplash, I decided I liked it, but it does require some mental adjustment. In the game, the main character often speaks with a strange sense of formality and emotional distance; hes one of the least developed characters in the game, which makes sense, as hes a cypher onto which the player can project themselves easily. Thats pretty classic for a video game.In the manga, I was shocked to see the main character saying shut up to his fairy friend Gallica right out of the gate. Harsh! He turns out to be more goofball than jerk, though, with tons of vibrant facial expressions and little quips that the protagonist of the game never had.The biggest change in the book is to Strohls character. In the game, hes almost as understated and withdrawn as the protagonist; hes a noble who has lost his lands and family, but still believes in the idea of nobility and living up to it. The manga turns that thinly sketched concept into comedic caricature, having Strohl constantly shout at people that his noble blood requires him to help commoners at all costs. He repeatedly flings himself into near-death situations, most of which are invented purely for the manga, in order to prove hes the noblest noble ever.The mangas first issue meanders through some plot points that never happen in the game at all and then suddenly ends with the kings funeral, an event that does happen in-game and is a major turning point in the storys first act. I was kind of surprised the manga got to it so quickly. (For comparisons sake, the funeral scene happens about two hours into this 20-hour cutscene compilation of the game.) But stranger still, the manga doesnt ever introduce Hulkenberg, instead giving her biggest early moments to Strohl; in the game, Hulkenberg is there from the very beginning, way before Strohl shows up. I dont mind the manga making these changes in the interest of streamlining a very complex RPG plot, and having fewer characters right out of the gate doubtless helps with that, but its still strange to see so many major events unfolding without Hulkenberg present.But its really the decision to make all the characters into emotive goofballs thats throwing me, and ultimately making me wonder if the game could have been improved with some of these elements. I dont need Strohl and the main character to be as exaggerated in their actions as they are in the manga, where the characterization is clearly done for the sake of quick narrative shorthand. But it actually would have been nice to see a bit more personality out of the two of them, especially in the slow early hours of the game before you accrue some of the more entertaining party members (such as Heismay). Its definitely entertaining to see an unexpectedly different spin on the story and Ill be curious how the rest of the issues adapt the forthcoming adventures.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·90 Views
  • Samsung Just Gave Us Our First Look at a Mysterious Thinner Galaxy Smartphone
    lifehacker.com
    Samsung may have announced three Galaxy phones today, including the Galaxy S25, S25+, and S25 Ultra, but that didnt stop the company from teasing a fourth. Alongside detailed specs of the new lineup arriving on Feb. 7, Samsung also hinted at a more mysterious future phone called the Galaxy S25 Edge.This announcement came towards the tail end of Samsungs Unpacked event, and didnt give viewers much more to work off of than a name and some renders. From the looks of it, though, the Edge seems to be a thinner version of the Galaxy S25, with a dual lens camera bump swapped in to help accommodate the smaller body. Credit: Samsung That would coincide with rumors that Apple is also working on an iPhone Air, which have been shared by reputable sources including supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg tech reporter Mark Gurman.Assuming these rumors are true, the iPhone Air and the Galaxy Edge both releasing back-to-back would seem to point towards an upcoming shift towards thinner phones, which could potentially convince users to upgrade their handsets in the face of flagging interest in foldable phones and increasingly iterative updates on the standard format.According to Android Authority, which spoke with a Samsung South Africa representative, the Edge will definitely come to South Korea and the US when it launches at some point in the future, but it may take some time to reach the rest of the world. Credit: Samsung As for what kind of specs to expect, Samsung president of mobile devices TM Roh told Bloomberg that, The Edge will use some of the same technologies as the new Ultra model, but fit them inside a slimmed-down design. Given what looks to be a much-reduced camera capacity, Im a little skeptical of that, but maybe the Edge really will beat out the base S25.With that kind of power in such a small form factor, though, I would definitely expect a heftier price tag (the base S25 starts at $800), although thats still under wraps for now. Its releasedate is also still up in the air, at least officially, but Gurman posted on X to expect the phone in the first half of this year.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·115 Views
  • You Might Be Following Trump on Social Media Without Meaning To
    lifehacker.com
    In the two days since Donald Trump was sworn into office, you may have noticed something odd on social media: You and your friends might be following Trump, Vice President J.D. Vance, first lady Melania Trump, and the Trump White House on Instagram and Facebook, despite never following these three individuals before. It begs the question: Did Meta automatically follow these accounts on your behalf?Instagram isn't necessarily forcing you to follow TrumpAccording to Meta, the answer is no. The company is referring outlets to a post on Threads from Meta communications spokesperson Andy Stone, who says: "A reminder: the Facebook.com/POTUS and Facebook.com/White accounts are managed by the White House. They change when the occupant of the White House changes." Cosmopolitan obtained another statement from Meta, which reads: "People were not made to automatically follow any of the official Facebook or Instagram accounts for the President, Vice President or First Lady ... Those accounts are managed by the White House so with a new administration, the content on those Pages changes. This is the same procedure we followed during the last presidential transition. It may take some time for follow and unfollow requests to go through as these accounts change hands."The explanation makes some sense: If the account, like the presidency itself, is more than just its current occupant, then users who follow the official POTUS, VPOTUS, and FLOTUS accounts are really following whoever happens to be president, vice president, and first lady at the time. In fact, it's what happened last time: This CNN article from January of 2021 talks about how most social media platformsincluding Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and YouTubetransitioned their POTUS, VPOTUS, and FLOTUS accounts (and their followers) to the incoming Biden administration. At the time, Twitter was the only network that decided not to automatically transfer followers, and instead shared alerts with users about how to follow the new accounts.Some users are pointing to the fact Meta itself seems to suggest these accounts are brand new. If you look at the official account of the President (not Trump's personal account, mind you) Instagram says the "date joined" was January 2025. (The verification date is exactly the same.) That is adding to the confusion from users: Meta says these accounts are established and changing with the current holder of the office, but also that Trump's POTUS account was made this month. However, if you look at President Biden's archived account, it says the date joined and verified was January 2021, suggesting the Biden account was also started when he assumed power. Meta's political problemsTo me, the issue lies more in miscommunication, polarization, and existing grievances from users with the platform. Meta should have made it clearer to users that they were not following the politicians themselves, rather an account that will change when the politicians do. If you have no interest in following a new president or vice president, you shouldn't feel you were forced to do so. And that brings me to the larger point: Meta is simply setting themselves up to look very sympathetic to the new Trump administration. Mark Zuckerberg was one of the tech giants who attended the inauguration, after all, so when his platform seemingly follows the new president, vice president, and first lady on behalf of its userswhether that's necessarily true or notit plays into that idea. That comes at the same time the company is openly moving rightward with its politics, and embracing politics in general more than ever. Earlier this year, Instagram and Threads did a 180, making it the default to add political content to feeds from accounts users don't follow. At the same time, Meta also backtracked its policies on fact-checking and hate speech across its platforms.Meta has alienated a sizable portion of its user base in recent months, so when those users open their apps to see that they're now following politicians the company seems biased towardspoliticians those users may vehemently disagree withit creates a situation like what we see today, with headlines abuzz about Meta forcing users to follow Trump, Vance, Melania, and the Trump White House. Just scan the comments on the POTUS, VPOTUS, and White House accounts to see how unhappy many users are to be following them. (At this time, FLOTUS has no posts.)You might have to wait to unfollow these accountsUnfortunately, unfollowing these accounts might not be as easy as, well, hitting "unfollow." According to Andy Stone, it might take some time for unfollow requests to process, which means you might be stuck with any combination of these three in your feed. On the other hand, if you were following the previous administration on any of these three accounts, you will still be following their archived accounts, as well. Being archived, you won't see new posts from these accounts, so the choice is up to you whether to stay followed or not.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·115 Views
  • Canon has developed a 410-megapixel full-frame sensor
    www.engadget.com
    Canon announced that it has created a new 410-megapixel, 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor, "the largest number of pixels ever achieved" in a sensor of its size.Because of the level of detail the new sensor can capture, Canon expects it to be used by"surveillance, medicine and industry," where there's demand for "extreme resolution." With 410 megapixels, Canon's sensor has a resolution of 24K, 198 times greater than HD, and 12 times greater than 8K. That makes it simple to crop and then enlarge a photo captured by the sensor without losing detail.Typically, sky-high megapixel counts are limited to cameras with medium-format sensors. But the beauty of Canon cramming this many pixels into 35mm is that it should be able to be used "in combination with lenses for full-frame sensors."Canon had to make more than a few design changes to make this happen. The new sensor has a redesigned circuitry pattern and a "back-illuminated stacked formation" where "the pixel segment and signal processing segment are interlayered." That translates to a readout speed of 3,280 megapixels per second, and video at eight frames per second. A monochrome version of the sensor can bin four pixels together at once to shoot even brighter images and capture "100-megapixel video at 24 frames per second," Canon says.It doesn't sound like this kind of sensor is going to make it into a consumer camera anytime soon, but the fact this level of miniaturization is possible means one day it could, for the photography sickos who want it.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/cameras/canon-has-developed-a-410-megapixel-full-frame-sensor-001851969.html?src=rss
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·127 Views
  • Extremely OK Games has cancelled its follow-up to Celeste
    www.engadget.com
    Extremely OK Games has cancelled its upcoming game Earthblade. The followup to the team's beloved indie sensation Celeste was announced in 2022 and expected to release last year. Maddy Thorson announced the news on the studio's website today."Noel and Ibegan to reflect on how the game has felt for us to work on day-to-day, and realized that it has been a struggle for a long time," she wrote. "Sure, working on one project for so long is bound to become a slog, but this feels like a deeper problem. Celeste's success applied pressure on us to deliver something bigger and better with Earthblade, and that pressure is a large part of why working on it has become so exhausting."The studio, led by Thorson and Noel Berry, parted ways with EXOK co-founder Pedro Medeiros in November. However, Thorson was clear in her message that the rift between team members was not the reason for cancelling Earthblade. In fact, all of the public conversation between the former colleagues thus far has remained amicable. Thorson offered firm support for Medeiros and his new game project Neverway in her post: "If you were excited about Earthblade and angry about its cancelling, Pedro and the Neverway team aren't the enemy and anyone who treats them as such isn't welcome in any EXOK community."This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/extremely-ok-games-has-cancelled-its-follow-up-to-celeste-000352550.html?src=rss
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·120 Views
  • Quordle today my hints and answers for Thursday, January 23 (game #1095)
    www.techradar.com
    Looking for Quordle clues? We can help. Plus get the answers to Quordle today and past solutions.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·126 Views
  • NYT Strands today my hints, answers and spangram for Thursday, January 23 (game #326)
    www.techradar.com
    Looking for NYT Strands answers and hints? Here's all you need to know to solve today's game, including the spangram.
    0 Yorumlar ·0 hisse senetleri ·130 Views